Subscribe through email or rss feed to receive all my new recipes. I promise they will be yummy!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lemonberry White Chocolate Scones


Lemonberry White Chocolate Scone

I hadn't really planned on making this recipe for this weeks challenge, but I had friends coming over this morning, and I can't have friends over and not bake.  So, no this is not the second recipe for the coulis- that is is still to come. 
I love scones, probably even more than muffins.  Again, the possibilities are endless.  The key to a nice scone is to not overwork the dough.  These scones have a light lemony flavor with lovely little berry pieces throughout.  You would think I'm nuts for white chocolate by this blog of mine, I'm really not. I prefer milk or even dark chocolate when I indulge.  I do find, however, that white chocolate has a nice light flavor that compliments fruit well and does not over power it.  These scones would make a nice addition to a brunch with some fresh fruit, and coffee of course.


Lemonberry White Chocolate Scones

3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 egg
2 3/4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup frozen blackberries, coarsely chopped (chop when frozen, they won't turn to mush)
1/2 cup frozen raspberries, coarsely chopped (chop when frozen, they won't turn to mush)
1/2 white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°.  Add lemon juice to milk, let sit for a few minutes.  Beat in the egg until thoroughly combined.  Set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix well.  Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 
Add berries and white chocolate. Mix.
Add milk mixture and mix lightly with a fork until a soft dough begins to form. Do not over mix.
Turn out onto floured surface. Knead 5-6 times until dough hold together, again, don't over do it.
Cut into 8 equal chunks and gently form scones.
Place onto large lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake 15 min, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from pan onto a cooling rack.






Scones are best eaten the day they are made, but can be wrapped individually and enjoyed the next day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. If you have tried a recipe let me know how it turned out for you! Or play along in your own kitchen and tell me what you came up with.