Subscribe through email or rss feed to receive all my new recipes. I promise they will be yummy!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lime Strawberrycream Cookies


Lime Strawberrycream Cookies
 These cookies are delicate and delicious.  The cookie is made up of Strawberry buttercream sandwiched between two lime cookies. They are adapted from the Lemon Berrycream Cookies I had previously made.  That recipe was one of my kids' favorites, and I anticipate I will try them over and over with different flavour combinations.  When I asked my daughter what she thought of the idea of making one of our "classics" with different flavours she said "awesome!"- I think that's her new favourite word.  She really is my biggest supporter.  She loves helping with the ingredients and ideas.  Both kids loved how these turned out and my daughter thinks they will make a great year end gift for her teachers.  Smart kid :)

Lime Cookie

1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp light cream
1 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed

2 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp lime zest
pinch of salt

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add egg and mix well.  Add cream and mix well. Add lime juice and mix well.
In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, lime zest and salt. Mix well.
Slowly add to creamed butter mixture. Mixing well.  Dough is mixed enough when it comes together and forms a ball.
Remove cookie dough from mixer.  No need to flour the surface as the dough is the texture of a play dough and should not stick

Divide into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece into a log approx 3cm in diameter.  Wrap each log tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour


Remove one log of dough from the refrigerator and use a sharp knife to slice into 24, 1 cm thick cookies.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Leaving a little space between each cookie (they don't spread much).
Bake @ 375° for approx 8 min, or until the bottom edge is just starting to turn a pale golden colour. Remove from oven cool for 1 min, then move cookies to a cooling rack. 
Repeat with each log of dough until all cookies are baked. Makes 8 dozen (96) cookies.  Allow cookies to cool completely.

Strawberry Buttercream

1/3 cup butter, unsalted, softened
1 1/3 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp whipping cream
1 1/2 tbsp Strawberry Coulis

Cream butter and icing sugar. Add coulis. Beat until light and fluffy.

Pipe Strawberry Buttercream on 1/2 (48) of the cookies, top with remaining cookies.  Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow butter cream to set.  Store cookies in refrigerator. Makes 48 sandwich cookies.


6 comments:

  1. These look great - the perfect bite-sized cookie! The lime and strawberry sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and clever! You really came up with some winners with this combo....I look forward to seeing what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruth, luckily we had some "gifting" to do or I would have devoured them :)

    This combo was fun Ann. This challenge has been good for my creativity. I never would have thought of half of these recipes without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m loving all these strawberry/lime recipes…one of my favorite flavor combinations for sure! And these cookies look absolutely ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookies look and sound scrumptious. We love lime and the combination of strawberries, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sarah and Five Finicky Eaters, They were good, unfortunately the squirrels on our camping trip this past weekend thought so too....cutest theives around :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. If you have tried a recipe let me know how it turned out for you! Or play along in your own kitchen and tell me what you came up with.